Sunday, November 14, 2010

Decisions, decisions. And dinner with Jay!

Good evening/early early morning.  Today was a bright, warmish Saturday.  I woke up round 10ish, after getting home late last night (but not drinking any alcohol), and had my lemon water/cayenne mixture and headed off to the farmer's market (round trip 2 miles), where I spent an easy thirty bucks on some nice cheese, ground turkey, pears, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, a tiny loaf of bread, some greens and a couple of apples.  I can't say I'm menu planning or anything so I'll have to figure out what to do with it all.

A lovely walk to the farmer's market

I'm not food shopping only at the farmer's market, but I do want to incorporate more local fruits and vegetables and sustainably raised meat into my diet.  I know, I'm boring myself too.  Moving on.

I came back from the farmer's market and made myself a delicious breakfast/lunch (NOT brunch.  I hate brunch!).


you, too, should eat on your computer.

A few slices of the tiny loaf, some garlic, some of the farmstead cheese, chopped garlic, drizzled with honey.  I made a rice vinegar/garlic/honey/soy dressing for the salad, which turned out delicious.  I wish I had washed the greens though.  They were, um, gritty.  Ah well.  And some raspberries.  Lovely.

Turns out it wasn't quite enough food, and I hate a small plate of leftover General Tso's with broccoli and a bit o' rice about an hour later.

Everything on this plate is organic and grown/produced right here in Brooklyn.  I KID!





Afterwards, I took a nap that was not short, because that's the way things seem to be going these days, and when I awoke I walk/jogged 1.3 miles to my friend Jay's house.  I jogged maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of that.  A few blocks on, a few blocks off.  And of course, not as much around cute girls.  This is my first time even attempting to jog in years and yes, I am feeling self-conscious.  I know I'll get more comfortable as I do it more, and I will not let attractive women deter me.  In fact, they will motivate me!

Anyway, Jay and I hung out for a bit and we grabbed some dinner at a Thai place close by. 

Jay enjoying his Massaman curry.
We split some steamed vegetable dumplings. 


And I got yellow curry with tofu - extra spicy, which was indeed spicy, but I forgot they friend the tofu and this particular place also doesn't put many vegetables in their curry.

I ate all the tofu and veggies, and about 3/4 of the rice.  NOT that weird day-glo salad.

After dinner, we tried to check out some gyms that were closed, saw a movie, and now I'm pooped and need to be up early.  But first - a new decision was made today - by ME!

During our medium - delicious dinner, we discussed gyms and working out.  Jay has just started the hundred pushup challenge as well, but he is also doing the 200 situps challenge AND the 200 squats challenge.  
I've decided that tomorrow, I'm starting them too.  I am dedicated to getting in shape and feeling better, and I no longer think constant walking and the pushup challenge are enough.  I am itching to do more.

Besides that, yesterday was my last cigarette.  Thursday was my last drink of alcohol for thirty days.  I hope I'm not taking on too much at once, but it's time to remove some more stressors in my life.  I was talking to Jay about how different you feel in the morning if you have even ONE cigarette the night before, versus a cigarette-free night.  And alcohol is a depressant, and as I'm trying to clear my head and focus on changing my life, I'm going to cut out drinking for a month.

When I was in a relationship, I was adamant about maintaining my independence and standing my ground and doing what I wanted/thought I needed to do.  When that relationship ended, I was left standing and looking at myself, and I did not like what I saw.  Sure, I had the foundation I had developed for myself, but over time, that foundation had turned from staying fit, and self-aware, and moving forward with my life to partying, stagnation, and ignoring myself and what my body is telling me.  It's time to open back up, and rebuild who I am.


To sum up today's exercise:
With the walking today to the market, and to Jay's, and around with him, the total mileage for today is 6.2 miles.  Not exactly power walking, but it all counts.

Bed time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment