Tuesday, November 9, 2010

100 Push Ups

Okay, here we go.  I'm Kyle and I'm trying to get in shape.  I've wanted a blog for a long time, I just didn't know what I was going to do with it.  Now I know.  I'm tracking and holding myself accountable for the way I treat my body and better myself.  I can fall into self-destructive behavior patterns.  I want to see what I can do with my body, how far I can push myself.

Really I just want to be in shape and a reasonable size. 
I'd like some muscle definition.  
I used to exercise and know how good it can feel.  I want that feeling back.

So.  I'm a smoker.  I drink 2-3 times a week, NYC style.  Sometimes more.  There's always beer available after work, and I go out with my friends.   Until about a month ago I was incredibly sedate.  I took the bus or train everywhere and anywhere.  I'd take the bus 5 blocks. I hated walking, and I didn't walk quickly.  I worried about my heart.  I still worry about my heart.

I ate crap food.  I got some fruits and vegetable, but not much, and I ate really heavy food all the time.  I ate ice cream almost every night.

You may be noticing I'm talking in the past tense for some of this.  Well, I got a bit of a wake-up call.  My girlfriend and I broke up.  And I realized I was stuck.
The enormity and pain of a breakup is overwhelming.  I know I could use this foundation-shaking time to change my habits.
I lost my appetite.  As it grows back, I find I want to eat better.  That brown rice and vegetables feel better.  I haven't had ice cream since.
I'm not perfect.  I got a sandwich and chips on the way home from the bar last night.  See now?
But I'm making changes, and I'm making them slowly, and during this difficult time I'm not going to push myself too hard or beat myself up.  I'm just going to try to be good to myself.

So.  This is what I've changed in the last month:

- I walk everywhere.  Both of my jobs are close enough for me to walk to.  One is 1.2 miles away, the other is 2.0 miles away.  It's fall and the weather is pleasant, and it somehow hasn't rained on me yet.  The walks feel good, and I enjoy them and they are cheaper than taking the train or bus.  And now that I'm single - I've got plenty of time.

- I'm doing pushups.  I've been shooting for 10-30 a day.  Sometimes I don't do them.  It's okay.  I've gone from sedate to walking 2-4 miles a day with some strength training.  Like I said, there's enough drastic change going on my life that I don't have to try and change everything else all at once.  BUT.  I have decided to do the Hundred Pushups program where apparently, all I have to do is follow their simple program and voila! I'll be able to do 100 pushups in a row.  We'll see how easy it stays.

Since I've already been doing pushups somewhat regularly I have noticed my strength increasing, so I'm starting on the third column, since I can do about 14 consecutive pushups.  I'll start tomorrow, as I've already done 25 pushups today before I thought about checking the site out.


Time to whip this belly into submission.
This isn't going to be easy, or quick.  But I've got plenty of time on my hands and I might as well use it.  I'm not getting any younger.

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh i love this!
    Are you kind of slowly turning into me kyle? Will I come over and here a all female brasilian punk band playing in your room?
    I want to do this hundred push up thing.
    And race you

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog shmyle. i'm going t o read it all the time buddy. i am far away and experiencing different struggles but they also include a chance for new habits and patterns and the like. right now i'm on day five of the wild rose detox. it's kind of amazing if you have lots of time to cook delicious things that don't include sugar wheat dairy or vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on that program, too! Started Week 6 this week but am crashing/burning. I think I will repeat the week over and over until I get to 100. My arms have definitely changed over the course of this program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I actually have to take a break from it for a while, as something's going on with my elbow. But I will finish it at some point (hopefully soon).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attempted a modified version of this program and loved it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete