Friday, December 10, 2010

Lunch in the crockpot

Yesterday I decided to make a kind of beef Stroganoff in my New Crockpot!  I had some nice fancy beef, fancy mushrooms and Brussels sprouts.  I knew I wanted to stay away from making stew.  I don't really like stew.  So Stroganoff it was.

First things first.  I floured the beef and browned it in butter.  I kind of burnt the butter a bit.  I thought about starting over but decided not to.  I'm just rustic like that.

While that was doing it's thang, I cut the roots off the fancy pioppini mushrooms and dusted off the dirt.  I am not an advocate of washing mushrooms, generally.   I don't actually mind a little dirt.
 Pioppini mushrooms benefit from long cooking, apparently.  What with their woody stems and all.
 Then I sauteed an onion and a bunch of garlic in the leftover butter. And then I deglazed the pan with the beef stock I was putting into the crockpot, which I didn't take a picture of because some things must remain private. 
I kid!  By the way, kitty totally helped with all this.
Her knife skills aren't great, but she's definitely improving. 
Then I quartered the Brussels sprouts, and threw them in the crockpot with the beef, mushrooms, beef stock, onions, garlic, salt, and some herbs I found in the fridge.

I had it for lunch yesterday with celery root and potato puree.
Bad picture, and that's a mushrooms stem, not a spider leg or something.

Next time, I'll likely chop the mushrooms up before throwing em in the corck, but in general, this dish came out delicious.  Marvelous.

I may write another post later, but I'm feeling ill today.  So just in case:

No smoking.
No drinking.
No exercise today.  Feeling sick.

Unfortunately, I've stopped the pushups challenge.  My elbows were hurting.  Anyone know what that's about?  I'm going to the doctor on Monday, so I'll ask her about it.

I think I'm going to watch a movie with kitty.
This is the first cat I've had that likes to give hugs,
Be well.  Be nice to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment