Saturday, December 18, 2010

A challenge

So I got this.
A coconut.  I've been having a tough time - shopping at the greenmarkets has been so easy and straightforward up until this week.  Now it's all wintry veg and I don't have a wide array of experience with doing creative things with cabbage and squash and things.  SO I've been also going to the grocery store.  And I wind up taking home a coconut.
I went to howtoopenacoconut.com, for real, to figure out how to open it.
I nailed into the three indent spots, placed it op top of a glass, and nailed into the opposite end of the coconut.
And promptly broke the glass.  I've been a clumsy idiot lately.  Just in the past 24 hours, I've jammed my finger, stubbed my toe, burned my face with duck fat, and now I've broken a glass.  So I placed it on top of another glass, which my roommate told me was a bad idea.  Which was true. 
Eventually, I managed to drain the juice of the coconut and then followed the website's directions to wrap it in a towel, place it on the floor, and wack at it with the hammer to open it up, which I did, and tore several holes in the towel.  Sigh.  I wish the website had maybe suggested i use and OLD towel, not one a regularly dry my bod on.
The roommates obviously found the whole process curious and fascinating and stood around marveling and rolling their eyes at me and all.  Then we all tried it.  I'll be trying it in a smoothie tomorrow morning.  Broken glass and torn towel aside, the coconut is open and the flesh has been removed and is in the refrigerator.
This morning I had a banana-cherry green monster, which I have discovered is the MOST DELICIOUS FLAVOR. 

 I went to lunch with friends and got a blt with potato salad (I ate about half) and a root beer, because root beer kicks.
They gave us a lot of drinks.  There were only 3 of us.

These two terrifying individuals proved to be marvelous luncheon companions.
Before lunch, I had a light snack of some sliced duck breast, spaghetti squash, and half a piece of bread with butter.

Tonight I had pizza for dinner with the roommates, and a few chocolates.

I have to tell you something.  I smoked a few cigarettes last night.  I was right, it's too soon for me to go out with friends the way I used to and have some drinks and expect not to smoke.  I get a few drinks in me, and it's all over, especially when I'm with smokers.  Drinking and smoking go hand in hand.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that I used to drink sometimes just so I could smoke.  That's a pretty serious addiction.  I gotta change it all up.
But it's okay.  I'm not going to beat myself up about it.  I've been feeling pretty blah this week, and not so strong.  Weeks like this, I have to be extra careful, because I'm much more inclined to slip.
No real exercise today.  I've got to join a gym, it's been SO COLD outside that I'm not walking much.  I'm in a bit of limbo right now.  I feel like I'm not "moving" in my life.  Just one of those weeks.

I leave you with Kitty giving Matt a hug.
And of Kitty hanging out with F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Goodnight!  Be nice to yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I say goodbye to kitty this morning.
    I don't think she realised that I was leaving for a long time ^^
    So, I'm in santa clarita, the trip was good (except when my neighboor in the airplane falled her thé on me... ahem).
    it's gonna be relaxing!

    PLEINS DE BISOUS

    and, when I come back, WE have to go (all together) to the yoga class remember! :)

    take care,
    loup

    ReplyDelete