Tuesday, January 11, 2011

HEllo.

Hola.

I'm feeling down.  Today was a bit of a struggle.  Tough day, tough week, tough month.  But I've made a list of goals I'd like to accomplish.  Which is good.

But first, today's eats.
Three small pieces of toast from the fancy Pullman loaf with Taleggio cheese and some more magical strawberry preserves from P.E.I., as well as another Mineola orange, the most delicious of all oranges.

Today was my first day off after working basically the entire weekend (I know, not really impressive, but whatever), so I lazed about and watched the first disk of the first season of Bored to Death, which was delightful.  It's filmed almost entirely in Brooklyn, so I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where exactly it was filmed (seems like Fort Greene and Park Slope).  I also stared a lot at Jason Schwartzman's face and hair.  I used to see him in DUMBO a lot and I always admired his hair.  So shiny and straight.  

After that life-changing morning, I readied for the Farmer's market to gather this week's bounty.  I thought I would walk, but that turned out to be a ridiculous idea, as I would've basically gotten there when the market was closing.  So I hopped on the terrible subway.

$40 worth of eggs, grass-fed beef, root vegetables, mushrooms, spinach, beets, rainbow chard later, I was starving and came upon a Chipotle.

I ordered a salad with half pork, half chicken, all the veggies, salsa, and yes, that mound of guac.  And that stupid soda.  I have to get out of the habit of ordering drinks like that just because I think it's stupid to pay for water.  Another reminder that I just need to carry my new Camelbak around with me.  Problem solved.  This meal, incidentally, was $13.50.  Good lordy.  I really regret getting that stupid fake fancy soda.  I drank barely half.

Then I wandered around trying to figure out if I should suffer through the first half of Black Swan again just so I could see the awesome sexiness of the 45 second black swan scene.  I decided no.
But it was a reminder that I have a damn hard time making up my mind and making decisions.  It drives everyone around me crazy.  Including me.


Dinner was roasted veg in pastured lard, and sauteed greens, as well as an egg and a few slices of steak.  The steak was a grass-fed london broil (which is not actually a cut; I'm not sure exactly what cut it was, maybe shoulder), that I broiled, hence the name.  I felt like I was playing 1982 NYC restaurant.  The broiler is a weird item.  The heat blasts down from above...I dunno.  I usually just panfry everything, unless it needs to be braised.
Anyway, I have tons of leftovers, which is good, because eating well is making me poor. 
That and all the cab rides.
But I'd rather blame the happy cows.
mini sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.  thyme.  The parsnips tasted the best.

This marinated in a mixture of safflower oil (high smoke point), Worcestershire sauce, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and a mistake - Mineola orange zest.  Too sweet.  Still tasted pretty good, though.
crazy parsnip
I also had a glass of soymilk and several cookies that I baked, while video-chatting with my good friend on the other coast.
It's because peanut butter chips are like crack.  Just ask Sandy Jeans.
To bed I go, as I'm still feeling under the weather and was attacked by many a coughing fit today.  It should be noted, though, that I am getting really REALLY ansy about "taking it easy".  I feel like causing trouble, but my congested lungs couldn't handle it right now, and I'm trying to channel feelings like that into things like pushups and lifting weights and going for walks and things.  I can't wait to join a gym, and I better get better soon.  I don't know how long I can contain the beast.

I have to post-pone the Resolutions post yet again.  Cooked up too much of a storm today.

Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Kyle!!! I am always salivating over your home cooked meals. You need to come over and help us out with the ostrich meat Jason bought.

    ReplyDelete