Sunday, February 6, 2011

I made a kickin' chicken and jogged while it roasted.

I have about thirty one seconds to post this. 

Morning!   Yesterday's breakfast - perfect oatmeal from Starbucks.  The guy gave me twice as much as what usually comes in a serving (I'm assuming it's because he thought me handsome), so I could only eat half.
Lunch was corporate deli salad with a scoop of tuna.
 Snack included Thingz From Wisconsin (thanks Natalie!):
About five bites of this crazy beef jerky. 
And I had my first Cheese Curd, also.  I ate a whole bunch, and haven;t really been eating very much cheese so they kind of made my stomach hurt.

I walked home from work (1.2 miles) and prepared to roast a chicken. 
I've had some mixed results with chicken - Costco's organic chicken being the worst (no real surprise) and D'Artagnan being the best, but harder to find. 
So I asked Scott Bridi from Brooklyn Cured to recommend a good quality chicken and he told me about Bell and Evans' Giannone chicken at Los Paisanos (butcher shop in Carroll Gardens).  
So picked one up and buttered the hell out of it.
A variety of potatoes from Trader Joe's, parsnips, and brussels sprouts.  Salt, pepper, pastured lard.  Kerrygold butter for the chicken, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, because I love garlic powder.  And I shoved some lemon and onion in its cavity.  I had no herbs around, unfortunately.

Into the oven it went at 500 degrees.

So, while it was roasting, I went and jogged about 3/4 of a mile around my neighborhood.  And learned something.
My shorts don't really fit.  I had to use the string and try to tie them really tight, but they still looked and felt kind of ridiculous.  Part of the time jogging I had to hold them up.  I mean really.
Then a came home and did a quick routine with weights, and some pushups.  I don't really have a plan yet for the weights, but will soon.  I just wanted to get moving a bit today.

Then the chicken was done.
Look at that lovely bird.  It was moist and delicious and garlicy and the veggies were nicely caramelized. 
What I've learned about roasting chickens:
Definitely use (pastured) lard on the root veg, and cook the chicken on a pretty high heat.  It won't burn; these Fancy Chickens are much smaller than regular grocery store chickens, and can take the heat. 
Also, your veg won't really caramelize if cooked in lard unless the heat is high (at least 450) because the smoke point of lard is so high.

This may be my last chicken for a while though.  I might be getting a little sick of them.  We'll see. 

It's a beautiful morning in Brooklyn.

2 comments:

  1. If you ever accidentally roast another chicken and decide you're still sick of chicken, you should call me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is our fun day of funness?????

    Also, this recipe is pretty WICKED. http://www.tastespotting.com/features/braised-kale-and-pinto-beans-recipe-cooking-light

    ReplyDelete